This week we are proud to introduce the Future Garage-head and SUB.FM boss: Whistla.
Whistla started his career as a DJ/producer in ’97 influenced by the UK rave/hardcore scene, he evolved through breaks, garage and dubstep finally finding his true position in the Future Garage sound.
Through the years his passion for pirate radio grew, (working with Addiction FM and Eruption FM) he decided to start his own online station, the cult bass radio, SUB.FM.
You can listen to his show every Tuesday from 8-10pm: always pushing the freshest garage sound!
1) Where are you now and what you are going to be doing in the next few hours?
I’m in the studio finishing up a remix I’m working on of Warrior by Thr33 Wize Men.
2) What is your studio set up? Which tool is the most important to you in creating your sound?
I have various set ups I like to use, 100% outboard, a combo of DAW and outboard, or just 100% DAW. The main element for me is samplers and sampling, I have various outboard samplers I like to incorporate into my productions, Akai’s, Emu’s etc they each treat audio in a diff way and each have there own unique characteristics.
3) What was the first track you released? How did you feel about it?
My first release was a breakbeat hardcore track back in 98 called “Hey” I was really pleased with it at the time and it got a great response, nothing like what I make now though! haha
4) When your not making/playing music, what are you up to? Do you have any secret hobby?
I’m a bit of a fan of “pro wrestling”, TNA, old skool ECW, but not WWE! lol
5) Do you remember the first time you played at D.S.O.L? Any good stories about it?
Yea it was a good night, I was playing in the 2nd room along with Submerse, and it was a sweet vibe all night with lots of people curious about the Future Garage sound. Am looking forward to returning!.
Find Whistla on